2013 Tournament Announced
Invites have been sent out to all participating teams from this season for the 2013 Doc Buchanan Invitational. Without question, the Doc Buchanan has become maybe the premier individual tournament in the Western United States and one of the top tournaments nationwide. Here’s a summary of stats from the 2012 event:
12 CA State Champions
22 CA State Finalists
63 CA State Medalists
for more statistics and a full list of place winners see here (http://www.thecaliforniawrestler.com/forums/showthread.php?69652-2012-Doc-Buchanan-Stats-Compared)
The 36th Annual Doc Buchanan Invitational at Clovis High School is an open invitation to ALL wrestling programs to register their elite wrestlers to compete for the prestigious cowboy hat! All California wrestling programs are allowed to register wrestlers who have either previously qualified or any wrestler you feel has a legitimate chance to qualify for the 2013 California State Wrestling Championships. The Doc Buchanan registration criteria was established several years ago in the interest of time, space, and competition in order to provide the best opportunity for wrestlers to prepare for the post-season, for coaches to gauge preparedness, and for spectators to witness some of the best wrestling in the country in a fan-friendly environment. The tournament has not only been well received, but the level of competition has increased with each year. We expect this 36th Annual Doc Buchanan to be better than all previous events with the best wrestlers California has to offer in the Central Valley and beyond. The true 32-man bracket format, using the registration criteria, make every round challenging for wrestlers and create an atmosphere most similar to the true State Championships in March.
If you are wondering if the Doc Buchanan is a good fit for your capable wrestlers, here are some reasons to consider this year’s event:
- The “Super 32″ format (true 32-man bracket with few if any pigtails) makes the bracket smaller and more competitive early so there is room for many small groups of entrants from all over the state of California.
- Wrestling on Friday is over at approximately 6:00pm!
- Individual finals on Saturday are some of the best in the Western US, wrestled under a spotlight and beginning at 5:00pm. The finals order is selected to provide an atmosphere of building anticipation and excitement, capping the night with the state’s best match-ups. Last year’s final match battle between Alex Cisneros and Nikko Villarreal went to double overtime and was a foreshadowing of events to come in March.
- You only compete against quality opponents thus this is a great tournament for the current match count rule.
- Allowing individual entries at $60/wrestler keeps the tournament cost affective for all programs and adds to the level of competition faced by all wrestlers. Fewer entries, fewer hotels, fewer vehicles, and less gas equal a lower overall expense to each program.
- $500/team for entries of 9 or more keeps cost reasonable for teams as well.
- We have the majority of the returning California State Medalists and Champions already registered for 2013!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an invitation and the contract for 2013. Here are a preliminary list of teams already committed to attend with returning state participants and medalists in parenthesis:
Clovis (6 participants, 5 placers)
Las Vegas, NV
Bella Vista (2 participants, 2 placers)
St. John Bosco (2 champions)
Bakersfield (4 participants, 2 placers)
Exeter (1 participant, 1 placer)
Corcoran (1 participant, 1 placer)
Crespi (1 placer)
Foothill – Bakersfield (2 participants)
De La Salle (4 participants)
Ripon (1 placer)
Oakdale (3 participants)
Wyoming Seminary Prep, PA – finished ranked #9 nationally last season
If you have questions, email me at email@example.com. Hope to see you at the ‘Doc B’ this January!
Last year’s Doc Buchanan results: